Pages

Thursday, July 22, 2010

Being Seen & Heard: through Playback Theatre...














Imagine a group of people (all professionals at something) who meet to learn a special way of listening and playing together... All of them (in my opinion) love to be helpful and supportive to others. On this day, they gathered to practice and learn to become more excellent at that.

One at a time... we shared stories of something real for each of us, which we wished to see played back.

Here I am telling about how disappointed and resentful I felt that morning when the actions of some of my friends did not match my expectations of them. I also felt bad about holding such critical and negative feelings towards people I loved.

I also spoke about the gratitude I felt for who I did see step up and meet me in the way I asked to be met. Here is the best example as it is happening in the present moment... four fine and wise ladies listening deeply to relate to my experience.

And, I gave them a challenge... to take all my mixed emotions and show them to me in a deep and new way.

They began by really reflecting to me fully the resentment and disappointment I described...


It was uncomfortable to go back there, yet a relief to have it out and being shared. I was also delighted to see them really feel it as deeply as I was experiencing it inside.



And then, they showed me how I was coming into a new state of acceptance, considering the point of view of my friends, and checking my previous assumptions...

It felt great being seen! And very validating...

I had to let them know what a beautiful job they did.
"How excellent was that?" I said to them.

Imagine a place and time... where we meet to do this every day, with people like ourselves (ordinary and extraordinary)... just as people in every culture used to do... the most natural thing... of sharing our stories... listening deeply and responding with simple acceptance...

You can certainly join us next time in person... and find out about this special place I go every month, with such wonderfully open and supportive people as you saw above, by checking out the Inspired Playback Labs, in Toronto.

Also, there are many Playback companies all over the world and you can find a directory here.

More so, I wish for you to be able to make the deep connections and keep the friendships which nourish you the most. One way I know how to do this is through connecting to a community and learning a practice which brings me to TRUE CONNECTION. These are the best ways I know how to making meaningful contact with people that matter to me.

I sincerely hope you find the path which serves you best in connecting with others. And I would love for you to join me in this practice of truly connecting.

Heartfully Yours,

David J.

3 comments:

  1. Playback suspends that analytical and judgmental component we often superimpose on our experience and lets us simply and authentically respond to the nugget of truth at the heart of the teller's story. In such a way we connect with our own pain, our own suffering, and our own joy and love, and realize what it is to be a unique part of this clumsy, imperfect but wondrous thing we call humanity ...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Paula,

    That is a stunning comment on Playback... especially struck I am by the second part... I would love to quote you elsewhere. May I?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Of course, dear David. Thank you for your very kind words. You may quote me with attribution very freely!

    ReplyDelete